Comfort and Confidence. These are qualities you want to build in your customers. Their comfort level in working with your organization. Their confidence in you and your business.
And these are qualities staff generally want as well – to be comfortable and confident. When I note that employees want to be comfortable, I’m not saying comfort to the point of being unchallenged or apathetic. I’m saying comfortable enough in the environment where they can be open in sharing their views and ideas, and be open to hearing the perspectives of others as well.
It’s best to have comfortable and confident customers and co-workers because trust is more easily created, relationships are more fully developed, and loyalty is more easily engendered.
So let’s address how to build comfort and confidence by simply being encouraging of others. You could tell customers:
- You completed the first step in the registration process – good job!
- You did everything right so far! We just have one more step.
- You asked excellent questions or That’s a great question!
- You’re making great progress.
- You’re definitely doing your part.
- You called the right number.
For co-workers, you could say:
- You’re always so organized.
- You made this process so easy for me.
- Thanks for being so responsive.
- Your preparation made the process flow very smoothly.
- I love how you handled that situation.
- Great job on the report!
Why are we talking about words of encouragement? Because they convey appreciation, and they also reinforce positive words and actions of the person you’re speaking with – words and actions you’d like to see repeated. So those words of encouragement actually help you as well. Your encouragement creates an environment where the other person is more comfortable and confident that what they did (those words and actions that made YOUR life a little better) is something they should do again.
Offer Words of Encouragement to help others build comfort and confidence.