Oftentimes during Service Excellence training, I will ask participants to identify companies known for great customer service. People often bring up Chick-fil-A, Disney, and some high-end Retail Stores. We’ll occasionally get QuikTrip mentioned or an organization like Amazon.
Then the question is asked: What about the experience makes you consider that organization to have great customer service?
I ask this question because I want participants to use their own personal life experiences to paint a picture of a great experience for their customers. Once attendees can envision what a great experience looks like from the customer’s perspective, it’s easier for them to understand what the experience needs to look like in their own company.
Essentially, I want them to picture those actions like they’re watching a movie – then envision that the great experience is happening in their own organization. Next, I want the participants to picture themselves playing a starring role in that movie.
Based on a recent client brainstorming session, these are examples of actions and attitudes of employees in companies that provide great customer service:
- Staff engage customers
- Staff share their name, ask the customer’s name, and personalize the conversation
- Staff act like they’re happy to see the customer (it’s a great 1st impression)
- Staff smile and use a positive tone of voice
- Staff have a mindset of treating customers as “Guests”
- Staff understand processes
- Staff are empowered to take action on behalf of the customer
- Staff go the extra mile for the customer
- Customers are treated like they’re #1
- Answers are quick, helpful, professional, and responsive
- There is a plan for how to solve problems
- Issues are resolved – quickly
- Customers feel heard
- Staff take pride in the workplace – even simply by keeping the area clean
- Common sense is more important than policy
- Before closing, staff make sure they addressed all the customer’s needs
- When thanked by the customer, staff say “My pleasure,” and mean it.
These are just some of the actions and attitudes that employees can adopt to deliver a great experience.
Use these tips, and imagine yourself being the star of a movie about your organization and the great service it provides.